Monday, April 4, 2011

Give It A Rest!

If you have ever played in an orchestra, or have even watched closely during an orchestra concert, you know that there is often a lot of sitting around that goes on. Almost no one in the orchestra has to play all the time. One of an orchestra player’s essential skills, therefore, is to be able to count. I can hear you thinking, “Well, duhh, everyone learns to count by kindergarten. What are you talking about?”

Counting measures of rest (the parts where we don’t play) is what I mean, and unless we do it accurately we’re likely to start playing again at the wrong time, which can be very embarrassing (don’t ask me how I know this). Of course, one of the responsibilities of the conductor is to cue each player (or section, in the case of the strings, which are there in mob force) when it’s time for our entrance, so we could be lazy and wait for the cue. Not a good idea. We might come in on a cue meant for a player right behind us, or the conductor might get distracted by other concerns and forget the cue. It’s best to think of the cue just as assurance that we counted right.

One thing that makes counting harder than it seems is that it’s sort of double counting. We have to count the beats in each measure to know when one ends and the next begins, and we have to count the measures, too. This takes concentration, and it’s easy to get distracted by random thoughts unrelated to what’s going on, or by the beauty of the music.

If a rest lasts more than about eight measures, I generally count them on my fingers. I always felt like an idiot doing this and tried to conceal it, at least from the audience, but in a recent performance I shared a music stand with an excellent young violinist who told me she does the same thing. Besides, even counting on my fingers I’ve sometimes come in at the wrong time. I need all the help I can get, and then some.

Obviously, all this counting depends on knowing where the beat is. This is not always easy. Some musical passages don’t have a clearly defined beat. This is another thing the conductor is for, but some give a very well-defined beat and others sort of stand there and act the music out—“Beat? Beat? I don’t need to show you no steenkeeng beat!”

This may be fine for the New York Philharmonic, in fact they could probably give a passable performance with no conductor at all or, in some cases, in spite of him. A lesser group, probably not. We were recently led by a sparkly young Brazilian guest conductor whose beats and cues were unmistakable. She was on top of every aspect of the music and a real pleasure to work with. Just the kind of conductor we need, because the New York Phil we’re not.


4 comments:

  1. Although this has nothing to do with your post, I wanted to tell you of a book (Violin) that was instrumental in my life and the life I shared with my daughter, Lily. Early in my motherhood I was blessed to hear of Suzuki and decided that Lily would learn, and come to love and appreciate music. Although Lily decided "violin is not for me", I read Suzuki's book "Nurtured by Love" and it transformed my parenting, and what I was able to bring to Lily's life. Seeing as how you're a Grand-dad (and your Grandson thinks you're the "Cat's Meow"), perhaps you would gain from this book. I re-read it often and any second now I'm going to put it on my website's Amazon widget. Or gadget. As soon as I figure out if it's a widget or a gadget :)
    It was really such a pleasure meeting you; you've inspired me in many ways.

    I'm trying to talk Maara into having a traditional feast and invite us all, so perhaps we'll meet over fine African cuisine one day soon.
    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...or the conductor might get distracted by other concerns and forget the cue." What else is the conductor doing? Distracted by what, an attractive patron or the vending machine? As a non-musician I always wondered what the point of the conductor was, other than apparently taking credit for everyone aside from the first violinist.

    Speaking of which, what makes the first violinist so special? Why not first oboe or second cello? Spread the kudos around, man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elise: Thanks. It was great meeting you as well. Good luck with your blog. I'll look into the Suzuki book.

    Craig: I've never been a conductor, but I suppose there are all sorts of distractions. Someone might make a mistake, or flub an entrance, or if there's a soloist the conductor needs to listen carefully to stay with him.

    Some orchestras can play some music fairly well without a conductor, but a lot of important details are left out of the printed score and must be decided. Someone has to take responsibility for musical interpretation. You can't have forty or fifty different interpretations at the same time. Also, there are places where the tempo changes, sometimes drastically. Someone has to keep the group together.

    The first violinist (Concermaster) historically is a smaller emergency backup conductor (apologies to Dave Barry). If there is an incidental violin solo in the piece, he plays it. He is also the overall leader of the strings, or at least the violins, and decides the bowings everyone uses so they at least look to the audience as if they're all on the same page. In the case of the orchestra I'm in, she acts as an authority for some issues of interpretation (she happens to have somewhat more orchestral experience than our current conductor, so he often defers to her judgement).

    We do spread the kudos around. Everybody gets to stand up at the end and accept the applause.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Changed my domain name, although chances are good that I'll change it again :) www.noble-stewards.blogspot.com Where you been? You need a new post
    Elise

    ReplyDelete